Wednesday, July 11, 2007

New Firehouse

It seems the new firehouse has been quite an issue lately. I have to admit, I have to question some of the items of contention myself. The cost associated with construction for one. I realize that they want to have a premier building and something to be proud of but 9-12 million (depending on whose figures you believe) for one building seems a little extreme. But---before I pass a final judgment on that I will wait for the finished product.

Location is another point. I certainly hope the builders have solved the problem of construction in “The Cranberry Bog”. Between unstable ground and methane gas (allegedly), I can see some very serious problems in the future.

Another concern that I don’t believe has been brought up is the access route for responses. The access to Rt. 50 is not so bad. The equipment can control that traffic light to work in their favor. What about the access to Isabella St? The corner is somewhat blind and has no traffic control device. I can see some serious traffic confusion there when the apparatus tries to get onto Isabella St. I see a lot of minor mishaps happening there. Also, some of the larger apparatus may have some difficulty maneuvering around stopped vehicles on the narrower Isabella Street.

I guess time will tell. I do wish the city had kept the current station 16 alive with at least 1 engine and Medic unit.

2 comments:

pb said...

modern engineering and construction techniques can resolve alot of the bog problems....the real unknown here is the methane....maybe they could stick a 4" pipe in the ground and light it...burn off the escaping gas...kindof a "eternal light" thing...

Anonymous said...

I think you should check in great detail the bank accounts of Gordy, See and the Mayor and see if they are making any money from this or kick backs. The reall money for this is going somewhere, a friend contractor or bank. They are playing with money like Gillis did buying property up before bypass cane in to sell it for profit later once he left council. Most of the people with money in Salisbury are feeding off the good people.