Saturday, September 1, 2007

Today in History September 1, 1864

On September 1 1864, Union General William T. Sherman, has had the city of Atlanta Georgia under siege. This being part of his operation to cut the South in two and interrupt what meager supply lines were left. Confederate General John Bell Hood, being unable to maintain a tenable position in Atlanta, evacuates the city in an attempt to find more viable ground in which to fight. General Hood torches remaining supplies and munitions to deny their use to the Yankees. Undeterred Shearman takes Atlanta and continues his march to the sea successfully separating the South, creating a severe hardship to The Army of Northern Virginia. The success of Sherman’s campaign hastened the end of the war which occured merely seven months later

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A sad day in history.
Darn Yankees!!

Soapbox said...

Ahh Hadley. I am in a quandry.

I understand explicitly the desire for state rights, but I also believe in the presevation of the Union.

I try not to comment with prejudice but merely with facts.
But Please----
I ask everyone to feel free to comment his or her views. It makes for such wonderful reading and honest, friendly opinions.

Thank You!

Anonymous said...

Soap:

Thanks.

As I think you have guessed, I am merely trying to stimulate civil (no pun intended) discourse.

I DID expect a pat on the head for cleaning up [to abide by your blog rules] the first word in the title of a famous Broadway musical.

No, I am pretty much convinced, not 100% mind you, that the War of Northern Agression is over.

Soapbox said...

I suppose the proper title of a Broadway show would have been acceptable. But Thank you all the same sir. I appriciate your consideration.

Historical Wit said...

Heartless? Yes. But it was a defining moment in the Civil War. Sherman broke the spirit of the Confederacy with his March. He was just doing what had to be done. You could argue this actually saved lives by bring the war to a close faster and not having pockets of resistance holding out agianst hope the South would reorganize.

Still, it was brilliant but heartless none the less.