Sunday, February 22, 2009

Farewell to Christie



Back on December 17th it became necessary to have Ahrens, one of our Dalmatians put down. She had several strokes and had gone blind. Yesterday, February 21st we were again faced with this terrible decision with Christie our remaining Dal. She has had a history of seizures had although for years they were minor and far between they had become more frequent and more severe. Also she has been loosing control of her hind legs and would occasionally fall down. It didn't seem to bother her much and so we did not see the need to take any action. Yesterday when we came home from our day's activities she fell down several times in less than a half an hour and it was very obvious that while on her feet she was extremely unsteady. She also was obviously getting very frustrated with herself and was getting distressed. After several more falls we called the Pet E.R. and asked if they could see her. They were available so we took her right away.

After an examination they confirmed that there was some severe neurological activity going on and in the process of having a seizure she too had a stroke. The Vet believes she actually had either a small stroke or seizure while being examined. In the vets office it was necessary to wrap a towel under her belly to hold her up and help her walk. The vet assured us she was probably not in pain but the distress she was having was a strain on her and none of the problems were going to get better and possible could not even be arrested. Christie was only two weeks younger than Ahrens and was also 13 1/2 years old. We stayed with her for the entire process time and she left us while in our arms.

She will be cremated and when the time is right we will scatter her remains and Ahrens at the same time here in the yard were they grew up and played together.


Farewell dear Christie. We will miss you.



Ahrens (L) and Christie(R) together on the couch.

7 comments:

Howard said...

Having gone thru the process myself, Let me give you my condolences.

Soapbox said...

Thank you Howard. Your kind thoughts are appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. I hate to think about when the time comes for my dog to pass. I think of him as a family member. Bless you and remember the happy times you had with Christie.

Soapbox said...

Thanks JC. Your kind thoughts are appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Cap:
Honey told me about your loss and I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am.
Ive done the cremation thing for all my beloved doggies and it makes me feel wonderful to know that they are w/ me each day in their little doggie houses and that they will be w/ me when it's my time to go as well.
If you need anything...

xoxo
Rat & Mrs. Rat

Anonymous said...

been there and done that my brother - I have two labs now and become more and more attached as each day passes - so strange how we get so close to our canine "family" - and even stranger how we suffer at the loss of same - my and Annie's thoughts and prayers are with you and Georgia - in the immortal words of President Abraham Linciln, "I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost" - JLJ

Soapbox said...

JLJ & Rat

Thanks so much for your comments and thoughts. It has been very difficult losing them both in just two months. Time will ease this but it will never go away. Thanks agains brothers, It is greatly appreciated from both of us.